Your students are awesome — see them shine!
Your primary school student group can create and perform their own musical arrangements for ukulele. Enter their video in the …
Kids SPRUKE 2017
Uke’n Make Music Contest
The Uke’n Make Music Contest is part of SPRUKE 2017 — Brisbane’s Ukulele Festival run by Brisbane Ukulele Musicians Society Inc.
Curriculum links, contest description, terms & conditions, and registration forms are available from the
DOWNLOAD the Contest Entry Pack today!
Contest enquiries: Keryn Henderson, SPRUKE Festival Secretary, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Promote ukulele playing by giving purpose to practice.
• Develop young musicians’ confidence in their ability to arrange music.
• Showcase the musical talents of young musicians.
• Encourage young musicians to work with, and learn from, each other.
This year there is a single division for groups of primary-school-aged students.
1st prize — Kala Tenor Ukulele, case and strap RRP $600 donated by Binary Music, Cleveland.
2nd prize — Makai Tenor Ukulele RRP $139 donated by Music 440, Indooroopilly.
3rd prize — Tanglewood Concert Ukulele RRP $99 donated by Guitar Brothers, Red Hill.
4th prize — $50 music store voucher donated by Revolution Music Store, Windsor.
Groups receive prize winner or participation certificates. Winning entries are viewed at SPRUKE.
Entering the contest can be a major part of your students’ school learning and assessment. Curriculum materials and assessment rubrics aligned to the Years 3 to 6 Australian music curriculum are provided on the Kids SPRUKE resources web page.
Karen and Len Henderson from Binary Music, Cleveland, have generously offered to run professional development for primary music teachers about guiding students to write ukulele arrangements for the contest.
The session will be held at 4:30 pm on Tuesday 20 June at the Binary Studio, 11/48 Bloomfield Street, Cleveland. To book your place, please phone Karen and Len on 07 3488 2230.
There are also great ukulele professional development opportunities offered at the July 2017 Maryborough Music Conference.
Contest Judging Criteria
• Clarity of the arrangement notation
• Creativity and originality of the arrangement
• Level of difficulty of the arrangement
• Precision and timing of strumming, picking and percussive use of ukulele
• Overall performance presentation, and audio-visual quality.
Contest Key Dates
• Tuesday 20 June (4:30 pm) — Professional development, Binary Studio, 11/48 Bloomfield Street, Cleveland. Bookings via 07 3488 2230.
• Thursday 6 July (from 3:00 pm) — Contest consultations, Binary Music trade stand, Maryborough Music Conference. Check out the program for other ukulele professional development sessions.
• July — Schools choose music, register and begin preparing entries.
• Monday 31 July — Registrations close.
• August & September — Schools refine, record and submit entries.
• Friday 15 September — Entries close.
• Monday 18 September — Judging commences.
• By Wednesday 27 September — Prize winners notified.
• Sunday 1 October — Uke’n Make Music primary music contest prizes awarded.
The contest is generously supported by:
Major Contest Sponsor
Shop 12 Cleveland Plaza, 48 Bloomfield Street, Cleveland Q 4163.
Supporting Contest Sponsors
Phone: (07) 3878 4566
1/30 Station Rd, Indooroopilly QLD 4068
Phone: 1300 365 476
Address: 95 Musgrave Road, Red Hill, Brisbane QLD 4059
Revolution Music Store
Shop 403A, Homezone, 142 Newmarket Road, Windsor Q 4030
Phone: 07 3357 1777